Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Retirement of Miss Believin': My Once-in-a-Lifetime Horse

Every horse person dreams of having their own “once-in-a-lifetime” horse at some point. I don’t necessarily mean the greatest champion who wins countless times or who breaks many records; I mean a horse that you have a special bond with. A horse that teaches you many lessons. A horse that has helped you advance as a rider and overcome struggles, whether that be on horseback or personally. A once-in-a-lifetime horse is one that you emotionally bond with and you are completely comfortable with. I am lucky enough to say that I have found my once-in-a-lifetime.

2014 ad from Shelbyville Horse Show.

On October 27, 2007, Miss Believin’ (Bella) was presented to me with a big bow around her neck. She became the first and only show horse I have ever owned. It’s not often that a horse will carry a thirteen year old rider all the way to the ranks of the amateurs, but that is exactly what Bella did. Our first show season together was in 2008. We showed mostly in Junior Exhibitor Three Gaited and also took a couple seasons to show in Equitation. After aging out of Junior Exhibitor and into Amateur status, Bella and I switched into the Country Pleasure division for 2014 and 2015. Throughout our eight seasons together, we not only won in all three divisions, but took our turn at beating horses with World Champion titles.

2013 ad from Dayton Horse Show.


Here’s the thing about Bella. She may not have been one of the top quality horses costing six figures, but she always showed up ready. When the big dogs didn’t bring their A game, we were right there to catch them. There were always bigger and better horses at the shows, but that didn’t necessarily mean they had as much heart as the smallest mare in the class. One of Bella’s former owners, Dee Thomas, called her “small, but mighty,” and she couldn’t have been more right.

Julia Shelburne-Hitti Photo. Mercer County Fair 2015.


Our last show together was the Kentucky Fall Classic at the Horse Park earlier this month. The Bluegrass Select Series Country Pleasure Championship would be our final performance. The script could not have been written any more perfectly. Bella and I had one of our best shows together. The mare was feeling game and she did every single thing that I asked her to. Even though I was feeling great about our performance, you never how a class will be tied. When Bella and I were called as the champions of the class, the tears didn’t stop flowing. I was too ecstatic to have Bella go out on top with such a great performance. She received many well-earned hugs before we took our final victory pass together and exited the show ring for the last time.

Bella exiting the ring for the last time with her blue ribbon.


I can’t thank this mare enough for all the great years she has given me. She’s taken me to some of my favorite memories and picked me up from my low points. She’s gone from being a versatile show horse to a companion I can bareback on, and I would not be the rider I am today without her.


So here’s to a well-deserved retirement, Miss Believin’! You earned it every step of the way.

Barebacking on Bella at Kismet Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment