Sunday, January 3, 2016

Things to Look for when Buying a Horse

As people are starting to gear back up for show season, fine tune new horse and rider combinations, and continue to buy and sell horses, I couldn’t help but the think of the traits I like to see in a horse. I’ve grown up in the Saddlebred industry, but the qualities I like are not simply for that breed alone. They can go for any breed or discipline. So other than a horse that is healthy, sound, and well-suited for the rider, here is a list of things I like to see when looking to buy.

“Happy Ears”

This is a term I like to use for horses that wear their ears well. When a horse’s ears are up, it means he is happy and enjoying his job. I’ve seen some very talented horses get penalized in the show ring because they go around with their ears back. These horses don’t look as bright in the bridle and don’t seem as happy to be showing as the ones with their ears perked up.

A Horse that Loves their Job

I don’t mind having to push horses harder than others, but I want a horse that still enjoys their job. The newly retired horse I own, Miss Believin’, is not a hard horse to ride, but she is not push button either. “Bella” will not do more than her rider asks of her, but as soon as the rider shows he or she is game, Bella is game too. I’ve also been on horses that are game no matter what and I’ve been on horses that you have to push and push because they are lazy. If I’m looking for a show horse, I don’t want something that is lazy. I want a horse that is excited about their job. This goes back to the “happy ears.”

Decently Kind Personality

While a horse’s personality doesn’t always affect their show performance (unless the horse is downright mean and tries to bite, kick, and throw riders), it can make a difference to the owner. I prefer horses that are willing to let you come into the stall and love on them. Some horses are fine to ride but can be mean in the stall. If the owner lives out of town or doesn’t plan on being in the stall very much, it may not make a big difference for them, or maybe it is an adult rider looking to buy who can handle a tougher horse in the stall. For those who want to cuddle with their horse or find a little kid’s horse though, try to watch for a horse’s personality when trying them out.

Safe

Speaking of a decently kind personality, I want a horse that is safe. This doesn’t mean the horse can’t be game or has to go slow, I just want something that will not try to get me off its back. It’s one thing for a horse to spook and kick or rear, it’s another if a horse tries to deliberately get you off of its back. The horse could have a problem where something causes pain or it could just be a mean tempered horse. Either way, I prefer something not known for being dangerous.

This is just a short list of a few things I’m big on, but there are plenty of other traits out there to keep an eye out for. What do you look for when buying a horse?


                                                                                                                                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment