Sunday, July 2, 2017

A Letter to Tim Capps

Dear Capps,

I know you said it snows too much in Syracuse, but I also know you’d be proud that I’m going to one of the best journalism programs, and that I’m pursuing my Master’s in a field I enjoy.

Preparing to leave Louisville has been bittersweet. I’m excited for the next challenge, but there’s also going to be some things I’ll miss (especially the cat, and the horse you believed was crazy). What I really miss, though, is an opportunity that was never presented.

UofL Equine awards banquet 2016

I wish I could have shared my excitement with you when I found out I was accepted, but you also knew I’d get in while I thought otherwise. I’m sure in your letter of recommendation you included an undertone that essentially said, “You need to accept this student, or else…” because that’s what you did for all your equine students. At least, that’s the summary you always gave us. You not only encouraged us to follow our dreams, but you helped us along the way, often realizing our own talents before we did.

I kept hoping you would show back up in the UofL equine wing, arriving early in that last office on the left. I was just down the hall from that office when I opened up the e-mail informing me of my acceptance. I was elated I had made it in and dropped my headphones to tell Terri and Andrew, who were in the computer lab with me, right away. Unfortunately, you were not able to be on campus due to health reasons, although we kept hearing stories about your stubbornness and determination to get back to the office with your kids.

Over and over again I kept asking God “why?” and there’s no doubt I was not the only person. The only answer I could come up with was that you had done so much to help people, that God decided it was time to call his good and faithful (or sarcastic and mischievous) servant home. 

I know you jokingly (I think jokingly) wanted me to stay at UofL forever to run the equine newsletter, but I promise I left it in the perfectly capable hands of a new editor. I have new things to go learn in Syracuse, and hopefully I can apply those acquired skills to the equine industry and benefit our sport, something you always wanted your students to strive for.

So Capps, I’m no longer at UofL, but this next year in the land of Orange is for you.

Sincerely,
Christine


PS: And yes, I do know it’s going to be cold in Syracuse. Thank you for asking a million times.

No comments:

Post a Comment