Monday, January 1, 2018

2017: A look back at a life-changing year

2017 was a whirlwind with several big highs and a few nagging lows. It was probably my most challenging year yet, but it also brought some of the greatest moments. Without further ado, here’s a little timeline of my year:

January 2017

January kicked off my final semester at the University of Louisville. I entered undergrad not knowing what I wanted to do and chose a degree in Equine Business. I liked horses, and a business degree made a nice backup if I ended up not working in the equine industry. Entering my final semester was bittersweet. I loved my equine friends and professors at UofL and it was sad to leave, but there was another adventure (grad school) waiting right around the corner. I just wasn’t sure what adventure that would be at the time.

The UofL Saddle Seat team receiving their 2016 championship
award from the United States Equestrian Federation.

February 2017

The acceptance letters for grad school started coming in and the first one was all I needed. Syracuse University accepted me for the master’s program in Magazine, Newspaper and Online Journalism at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. This was my first choice and I didn’t think I’d get in, considering it’s one of the best journalism schools in the country.

Newhouse on a warm October day.

April 2017

April started off on a high note. It was my last month of classes, graduation was getting close, I committed to Syracuse and I enjoyed my last horse show as President of UofL’s Saddle Seat team with a nice send off from my teammates.

The end of the month was a tough spot for the UofL equine family. The director of our program and our fearless leader, Tim Capps, passed away. It wasn’t the end of the semester we imagined. Capps was the best mentor any student could ask for and guided many of us in directions we didn’t think were possible. Although he is unreplaceable, each student that knew him left with valuable lessons, many of which came from talking in his office versus just the classroom.

Capps handing out UofL equine awards at Churchill Downs in 2016.

May 2017

Thanks to Horse Racing Nation, I was able to be a part of the media for the Kentucky Derby and the Kentucky Oaks. It was rainy and muddy both days, but that didn’t dampen two of the best racing days. The best part was the lead-up to the big races. Going early in the morning and watching the Derby and Oaks horses work and being able to see them on the backside was actually the best part of the whole week.

Always Dreaming, 2017 Kentucky Derby winner.

Abel Tasman, 2017 Kentucky Oaks winner.

May also brought the grand finale to my undergrad career. I sat with my fellow equine classmates and walked across the stage at the KFC Yum! Center. Andrew’s parents and grandparents came down from New York and we spent the weekend celebrating together. I also joked with Andrew that his superlative should be “most improved.” I found it funny. He did not.

L's up from Andrew and me. Yes, my L is backwards. I'm sorry.

June 2017

I experienced some fun Thoroughbred-filled days before moving up to Syracuse. At Churchill Downs, I witnessed Gun Runner stealing the show in the Stephen Foster Handicap and Forever Unbridled rally to win the Fleur de Lis Handicap. Both horses are based out of Churchill Downs and went on to win the Breeders’ Cup Classic and Breeders’ Cup Distaff respectively. I also met some awesome people in racing that I was able to connect with again.

Gun Runner after winning the Stephen Foster.

Forever Unbridled on her way to win the Fleur de Lis.

My last day in Kentucky I had the pleasure of meeting super mare Rachel Alexandra thanks to Candice Curtis from Horse Racing Nation. Rachel was one of my first racing loves before I even started to follow the sport. In case you forgot, she beat the boys in the 2009 Preakness Stakes.

The one, the only, Rachel Alexandra.

July 2017

July 1 I made the move up to Syracuse University. This is my first time living away from home. My intentions were to go to school for one year, get my degree and get out, but I met some amazing people I’m lucky enough to call my friends. I have the best three roommates, I love the people in my MNO group and I’ve met some other great people at Newhouse.

Ice skating with roomies Erica and Lily, who are
in the broadcast master's program at Newhouse

My law roommate Lisa let me use her as a model for a photo assignment.

Getting back to some of the people I met at Churchill Downs, I was able to connect with them and others by joining Nexus Racing Club, bringing young adults together in racing. I was missing the horse scene during the summer semester. Class was Monday-Friday, nine to five and my mare, Bella, was back home. Nexus gave me another way to stay connected in the industry.

August 2017

I had a two-week break between summer and fall semesters, and decided to spend the entire time in Saratoga Springs since it was only a couple hours down the road. I got to cover some of the best races, again thanks to Horse Racing Nation, met up with some new friends and had fun in town with Andrew since he was working there for the summer. I ended my trip on a high note with the Travers Stakes and several other high-quality races on the card, and I hope to make it back some other summer.

Saratoga on Travers morning.

West Coast after winning the Travers.

Saratoga has awesome horses and awesome people.

November 2017

Fall semester was a challenge filled with stress, anxiety and self-doubt. I certainly was looking forward to Thanksgiving break. I had been in New York for nearly five months and was looking forward to going home. Andrew was back at Churchill Downs and his parents came for Thanksgiving. He invested in a weanling filly and wanted to take me out to see her. It took me a long time to notice, but the halter on the horse said “Will you marry me?” Dummy me was too shocked and all I could say at first was “OK.” I eventually realized I was supposed to say yes. It’s still crazy to think I’m engaged to my favorite person.

Not a bad way to get proposed to. 

My grandpa had given this ring to his wife when he proposed.

Thanksgiving at Churchill Downs.

December 2017

December was a crazy month. I turned 23 and celebrated with my Syracuse friends. Final projects drove me insane, but my grades turned out better than expected and I finished on a high note. It’s exciting to be half way done with grad school and see how much I’ve learned, but I will also be sad to not see my Syracuse friends every day after June. I had no idea I would meet such amazing people.

"The GOAT class." MNO G'2018.

After Christmas, my parents and I drove up to New York to spend time with Andrew’s family. We spent one day in Manhattan. It was the first time my dad had ever been to New York City and my mom’s first visit in a few decades. Andrew bought us tickets to see Wicked, the food was fantastic and we managed to make sure my parents did not get lost from the group.

Family selfie in Central Park. It was super warm, obviously.

I never imagined a year packed with so many challenges and excitement. It’s been one hell of a journey.


2018, let’s see what’s in store.

It's not good bye, just see you later.

1 comment: